Sunday, June 6, 2010

My new Simms Fly Fishing Boots

My new fly fishing boots finally arrived at our local fly shop, Front Ranger Anglers. I am thrilled! I have been waiting for these boots for 6 months now. They were on back order for a very long time.
So lately the run off has been really bad and the fishing has been nonexistent but today I decided I needed to go out and fish to celebrate getting new boots. I took the dogs and went to the river that flows out of Eldorado Canyon. I heard the flows there weren't too high and it was 'fish-able'.
We got there around 4pm and walked up to an area where it looked pretty good. I get myself ready and start casting. 3rd cast and I snag something under the water. I'm moving around trying to get it un-hooked when the line snaps. DARN! Two new flies gone!
So I tie some more flies on and I move up the river to a spot where the river splits. I'm standing where the river splits to my left down to a dam and the river spits to my right but is really fast. I think this is a great spot. There are some trees around so it makes the casting tricky but I think I can manage. I am just about to start casting when Lando slips into the water after trying to get a stick and starts to float towards the dam which is only 10 feet away. I jump in after him because the water is too strong for him to swim against and pull him back onto the bank. Of course I have to jump into hip deep water and i'm not wearing my waiters because it is 90 degrees out. I'm standing on the bank wet and shaken up when I realize I jumped in with my backpack on....FUCK my iphone is in there! Now i'm freaking out trying to see how much water got into my pack, luckily my phone is fine. Lando is fine and I am only a little scratched up.
No big deal so I keep fishing. My hands are a little shaky and my heart is racing. I try to calm down and start fishing again when my line gets stuck in a tree. GOD DAMN IT! Okay now im in the tree trying to free my line. Okay, line free. I am trying not to get pissed off.
I am casting at the other bank, it looks great there are flies above the water, it is slower water, I know there is a fish in there. Casting, mending, casting, mending, casting, SNAG in another tree. NOT AGAIN! I try to shake it loose and my line snaps. FUCK THIS!


At least my boots are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment