Saturday, September 5, 2009

Yakima River

Another fishing trip! We went to the Yakima river for a 3 day fishing adventure. The river was huge! Despite, the Cle Elum dam restricting water as part of their normal procedures for.... I actually don't know why exactly, maybe for winter-ization? So the water flows are about half of what they normally are all summer long. Still the river was hard to fish from the banks.
We stopped by a local fly shop when we arrived, The Evening Hatch. They were really nice and gave us some helpful information about the area, where to camp, and what the fish were eating. By the time we arrive at our campsite it was about 5pm, perfect time for some evening fishing! (my favorite)I just love that feeling I get when the fish are jumping all around me, its getting dark fast and I really just want to catch one more fish before I call it a day. The excitement of it all and trying to stay focused is what makes fishing so much fun for me. Anyway, I didn't catch any on the rise. Probably because I couldn't see anything.
The next day was also a lot of fun. We started fishing early in the morning and the wind was blowing hard, probably from the thunderstorm we had the night before. I was getting frustrated with my cast and had to keep telling myself to be patient. Rory found a cool little spot where the fish were hiding. He took me over to his spot and I instantly caught 3 or 4 fish. I think I scared them all away after that because neither one of us caught fish there for a while. I was changing flies.

The day was long and filled with lots of fishing. We explored some other fishing holes along the road. We had to drive to them which is not as fun as hiking. The next fishing hole was exciting, we saw an eagle of some sort!! I'm not sure what it was exactly but it swooped down, dive bombed the water, picked up a big fish, and ate it. I think it was going to do it again but I was screaming "whoaaaaa did you see that?"
And I saw a snake, freaked out and started throwing rocks at it.
The Yakima river was a lot of fun, I don't think I will return to it until the water levels are really really low. I know there are big fish in there and I want to have the greatest advantage over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment