Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Colorado Christmas

Christmas 2011 was spent in Colorado with my good friends Krissi and Liz. My friend Liz, from SU law, and I flew into Colorado to spend some time skiing and snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains with Krissi. Krissi and Liz had no idea how to Ski so both of them took lessons while I hit the slopes with my friend James, from high school. It was amazing to breath in the fresh, clean air in Colorado. I missed the feeling of high altitude, its harder to breath and the beers hit you faster. I love the burning feeling you get in your lungs and when your heart starts racing when you walk up a few flights of stairs, it makes me feel healthy just being in Colorado. Law school has made me feel like I’m in horrible shape. Going back to Colorado reminded me of all the sports I used to do when I was there. Just because I moved to Seattle doesn’t mean I have to stop snowboarding, swimming, and cycling. I plan on fitting in all of those things into my schedule when I get back!

The snow in Colorado was disappointing. I went to Copper and there was 4 inches of fresh powder but it felt like 2 because the base was a miserable 25 inches. There were sticks and rocks everywhere so I had to stay on the main trails. Breckenridge wasn’t much better. There was no fresh powder on Christmas eve or Christmas day, LAME! The base at Breck was just as bad at Copper so the lifts to the bowls were closed, which left no blacks or double blacks to snowboard. The good thing was that there was NO ONE there. The slopes were totally empty and I had to wait on line for maybe 1 minute. So we just bombed (went as fast as we could) as many runs as we could, took an awesome beer break and then did it again until the sun set behind the mountain. Even though the snow was disappointing, I wouldn’t give up my trip for anything! Being back in Colorado was amazing. I got to see my old soccer team and reminisce about all the things I love about Boulder. I got to snowboard the Rockies and watch two of my really good friends learn how to ski.

I love Colorado and miss it so much. I needed this trip to remember how wonderful my life really was and what about my life I enjoyed. Now I can create the same surrounding for myself in Seattle and hopefully be just as happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment