Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sailing through law school


The first month of law school has flown by. I feel completely overwhelmed- which I have heard is normal. It is amazing how quickly your life can change, if you want it to. When Rory left for Alaska, I realized that I needed to make some adjustments so that I could continue to embrace that feeling of adventure that he carried around with him, the feeling I got when we would explore together, and the feeling that kept me smiling every day. Without him around it was hard to be my usual chipper self. Until...
Last week, my best friend came to visit and we went out to get drinks at Ray's. There we ran into a group of sailor who had finished day 1 of a 2 day race. I was invited to help do Race Committee, the people who help put on the Regatta, without hesitation I agreed to be there and help. It was an amazing experience, a lot like triathlon (except on water). I helped check boats in at the start of the race and write down finishing times at the end of the race.
Since, the regatta last week I have completely immersed myself in the sport of sailing and connected with a lot of local sailors. I have met some amazing people who plan their life in extraordinary ways.
Here are some examples:
The owner of Dove, worked at Mircosoft for most of his life, now he is selling everything he owns and leaving on his sailboat, with his wife, FOREVER. I asked him where he was going, he said SOUTH. I love it. I wish him the best.
Another example, Jennifer. Her and her husband raced a 15 day race around Vancouver island. That is pretty incredible to me.
Lastly, I met a man who is planning a trip to Tahiti! He is a law school drop out who realized that wasn't the life for him, now he makes his living selling yachts. When he talked about sailing to Tahiti I just stood their with the most excited expression on my face; he was completely calm and talking about his trip like it was a common thing to do.

So the bottom line is, I want to be these people! I want to be incredible and do incredible things just like the people I have met in the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment